Thursday, June 21, 2012

Paint-A-Thon-Giving Back

It has been really crazy that last couple of weeks. Each year Zions Bank chooses homes throughout Utah and Idaho to get a new look and a fresh coat of paint as part of its annual Paint-a-Thon which benefits low-income, elderly and disabled homeowners.
I had the great oppurtunity to participate in this event this year.  I was asked to head up our departments Paint-A-Thon team as Team Captain. Having had very little to no painting experience in my past; this proved to be a very comical and yet wonderful learning experience. I did not realize how much was invovled in being in charge this year when I  accepted the overwhelming task of Team Captain. Between finding a home to paint, meeting with the homeowners, choosing paint, working with the paint company, picking up paint supplies, and feeding all the volunteers each night, it proved to be a very busy and challenging experience; and yet I truly enjoyed each moment.
It was so amazing to see the participation of my coworkers and their families as they volunteered un-paid time outside of work each night this week to come scrap, prime, paint, mow lawns, weed, and get covered in paint as we helped this deserving family paint their home. I cant thank each of you enough for all you did and the selfless service you rendered to your community. Between all our very amatuer painting skills, the house turned out great and and the homeowner could not say "Thank You" enough as we put the finals touches on her home last night.







I have tired sore and blistered feet, a nice sunburn, and paint that wont come off my hands (ironically the only picture of me is one of my hand), but all that aside, it was an amazing experience and an even better oppurtunity to help out the community and give much needed service to those in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment