Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Sunny Southern California

We just spent the last week in southern California. It was so much fun and we had beautiful sunny weather all week long. We stayed at a condo in San Juan Capistrano right across the highway from Doheny Beach.
(We can see our condo from the beach)

It was so much fun to be right next to ocean. Each day we walked to the beach and spent time playing in the water, looking for seashells, and just enjoying the warm sand between my toes and the beautiful ocean waves. I was in heaven and could have stayed forever.





A couple days we took a walk up and down the beach and ran across an eel washed up on the beach, sand crabs, kelp, watched some surfers, and I found the coolest hermit crab shell. I found out later that they don't like you to take them; then the hermit crabs don't have place to live when the come up on the beach. Oh no! I just made a hermit crab homeless. No one told me... so, I kept it anyway.


(Sand Crab)




We visited the San Juan Capistrano Mission, built back in 1775 by the catholic church as a place to spread Christianity to the Native Americans living in the California area. It was so beautiful to see all the amazing gardens and see the ruins of the original church and the different areas still part of the mission. It was so fascinating to see how other faiths worship. I was in awe at how beautiful the inside of the catholic chapel was.








We spent some time up the beach at Dana Point Harbor. We walked around and looked at all the schooners, yachts, and boats. It was amazing to see all the ships docked there. We went on a bit of an adventure and went aboard a 1920's racing schooner and went sailing for 2 hours out in the ocean. I spent most of the time sea sick. YUCK. It was a cool boat and fun to be out in the ocean, but I will never ever do that again. Once was enough for me.
Also at Dana Point lies The Ocean Institute. We took a tour and were able to see some cool ocean animals, sting rays, all kinds of fish, and a giant lobster. There are so many different looking creatures living in the water. They have two old sailing ships docked there. They bring in the local school children of Orange County and teach them about the ocean, how to sail, and then the kids stay over night on the sailing ships running the sails and everything. How fun is that!!

I was sad to have to come back, but It was fun spending time with family and being able to see the ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment